Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers


Trilogies, as you may know, are three films packaged together that tend to tell one story.  The story may be separated into three smaller stories, or may be an elongated tale.  Some of the favourites that people have are Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future.  I just finished watching a trilogy within the Halloween franchise, most recently finishing said trilogy with Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers.

How are Halloween 4 through 6 a trilogy?  They each revolve around Michael Myers going after Jamie Lloyd and eventually turn into a clusterfuck of mythology.  Pardon my language there, but that’s the only way I can describe what I watched.  They are fairly contained when you look at everything in the series.

Halloween 6 revolves around Michael Myers trying to kill a baby.  The baby is being protected from a grown up Tommy Doyle (the kid Laurie Strode babysat in the original Halloween), and some more members of the Strode family.  There is also a crazy ass plot about druids and runes that I don’t know how to even describe.  The Man in Black from the fifth Halloween is involved in the druid stuff.

It was great to see Paul Rudd early in his career.  He played the now grown up Tommy Doyle.  Not the best acting, by any means.  It seemed like he was in a comedy half the time even though he was supposed to be playing it straight.  Very strange.  I think this was his first movie filmed but second released behind Clueless.

Not only is this movie ridiculous plot wise, it had ridiculous characters that I did not like.  I can’t say I liked one character.  Even Dr. Loomis was getting on my nerves.  Whoever wrote the script got almost everything that I don’t want into the movie.  Unlikeable father character, check.  Douchebag radio or tv host? Bingo, we’ve got a shock jock.  Mythology that makes a simplistic series dumber? Of course they throw that in there. The only thing that wasn’t there was a mute child.  Oh wait, they did that in Halloween 5.  No wonder that wasn’t in Halloween 6.

This was a disappointing rewatch.  I think in the time since I watched it, I built it up after having forgotten the druid crap, and knowing that Paul Rudd was in it.  I put too much investment in what I thought was a good film and it bit me in the ass.  Whatever.  It’s still slightly enjoyable.  Perhaps it’s better than Resurrection, another Halloween film I haven’t seen in about the same amount of time.

Tomorrow I will finish the original series, I think.  H20 and Resurrection.  It should be fun.  Jamie Lee Curtis comes back and is joined by great actors LL Cool J, and Busta Rhymes.  I’m expecting a lot out of these two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon