Snow Set Movie 2: The Sweet Hereafter (1997)

It’s not too often that I watch a movie that blows me away.  So far in the Snow Set Movie Marathon, I’ve watched two movies that have had this effect on me.  The first was The Great Silence which was discussed in a previous write-up.  This time it was The Sweet Hereafter.

The Sweet Hereafter is a Canadian film about a British Columbian town in which tragedy strikes.  A lawyer has come to help out the suffering.  It stars Ian Holm and Sarah Polley and is directed by Atom Egoyan.  I hope I spelled all of those correctly.

I don’t think that anything I say about this movie could do it justice.  This movie hit me hard on an emotional level up until the final seconds.  The pain that the characters are feeling is a pain that you begin to feel as you watch the movie.  It’s undeniable that the acting in this movie is strong just for being able to convey the agony in such a way.

One other thing that must be talked about is the use of the Tragically Hip song Courage.  This didn’t seem like the type of movie in which that song would seem suitable until it happened.  It completely fit the moment.  Then you hit the credits and there is another version, sung very hauntingly, fitting the final moments of the movie and leaving you speechless.  It’s perfect.

There isn’t much I can say about the movie beyond that because it would only lead to spoiling the film more and more with each point, and it’s best to go into this one knowing almost nothing about it.  You need to go in and let it wash over you like a tidal wave of emotions.  Yes.  Just like that.

I want to say so much more but I respect people enough to not ruin experiences.  If you have not seen this, you should.  Find a copy of The Sweet Hereafter and watch it.  Do it.

Yes, I do realize this was a mostly pointless write-up.  What’s new?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon