Snow Set Movie 7: Frozen (2010)


I took some time out yesterday to get another one of my Snow Set Marathon movies watched.  It was time for me to get to Frozen, a movie about perseverance in extreme situations.  That seems to be a topic tackled through many of the movies in this marathon.  I’ve already seen this topic covered in Touching the Void, Quintet, and Dead Snow, all touching it in different ways.  I know two of the upcoming movies, Dreamcatcher and The Shining, also touch upon this subject.  It might be the subject of the entire marathon.

Frozen follows three people who get stranded on a ski lift when the ski mountain closes for the week.  They must stick it out until the weekend through cold weather and lack of provisions, or find a way to escape by whatever means necessary.  It stars Emma Bell, Shawn Ashmore, and the kid from Air Bud except grown up.  Kevin Zegers, I think.

I thought the three actors all had good chemistry.  The way they worked together, in an acting sense, was good.  However, the scripted friendship between the three of them rang entirely false.  This all boils down to the script.  I understand that there was the guy, his best friend, and his girlfriend.  I understand that the best friend was jealous of and mad at the girlfriend for getting the guy’s attention.  But the way they spoke about it through the entire movie did not work the way I feel that the writer/director, Adam Green, may have been trying to make it work.  I felt nothing about the relationships which then made me feel almost nothing about the characters’ or their fates.

Which brings us to the wolves.  The wolves are jerks.  Not only that, but they appear on the hill when all of the skiers are gone.  Except for the three stranded skiers, whom the wolves want to eat.  Where do the wolves go during the time that the ski mountain is open for business?  Apparently they only come out when skiers get stranded there for the week.  You could argue that the wolves stay away during the open hours because of the amount of people that are around.  I don’t think that would be completely true though because the wolves would attack any stragglers, right?  But it was said in the movie that there had been no wolf attacks in however long.  And the resort would try and get rid of wolves to keep it safe, right?  According to these wolves, no they did not.

I think that covers what needs to be covered about Frozen.  I didn’t love the film, I didn’t hate it.  It was okay.  I’ll probably never want to watch it again.  There were some interesting sequences and some interesting camerawork but the script hurt the overall movie.  All of this is only my opinion.  You can watch it if you want.  It’s not like it will negatively affect you.

I’ll see you next time, when I watch The Eiger Sanction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon