Reimagined Shakespeare Marathon Awards Part 1


It’s that time folks.  It’s time to celebrate the best and worst of the movies that I watched in the month of May as part of the Reimagined Shakespeare Marathon.  These are the awards for said marathon.  This is an elegantly written speech.  You shall believe the words that I’m typing.  On with the awards?  Let’s get to it.

I’m going to start it off easy with the award for the worst actress.  Why do I say this is easy?  It’s a typical award given in each marathon I’ve done.  This time around, there are different people.  So let’s see who made the cut.  The runners up for worst actress include Amanda Bynes for She’s the Man and Natalie Wood for West Side Story, who I guess weren’t that bad but did nothing for me at all which caused me to include them in here.  The same can be said for Keri Lynn Pratt and her role in A Midsummer Night’s Rave.  But the winner is definitely, for me and my memory, Alexandra Breckenridge as Monique in She’s the Man.  I just hate hate hate the character and the performance.  There’s nothing else to say but congratulations.

Now onto the “You’re in this?” award for the most surprising appearance of an actor or actress in a movie that I may or may not have known they were in but it’s still kind of a surprise that they’re in the movie in a relatively small role.  The first runner up is Jonathan Sadowski in She’s the Man.  He may not be the most well known actor, and it may not be the smallest role, but boy if I don’t notice him and go “He was in this?”  The next runner up is Flea for My Own Private Idaho.  This is the same Flea that plays bass in Red Hot Chili Peppers and appeared in the Back to the Future series.  I’m going to toss Mel Blanc in here for his small amount of voice work in Strange Brew.  Perhaps he should win, but not in my mind.  The final runner up is David Alan Grier who I really didn’t expect to see in King of Texas, but there he was, playing the fool.  The winner though was Jason London who popped up for a little bit in A Midsummer Night’s Rave.  If you don’t know the name, he played Pink in Dazed and Confused.  If you still don’t know him...I don’t know what to tell you.  He wins the award.

It’s time to have the category for worst actor.  There are no runners up in this category.  The award goes to Glen Badyna who played Puck in A Midsummer Night’s Rave.  This movie has already won two awards but it took this one by a landslide.  That’s saying something with the male cast of She’s the Man in the mix.  The acting was over the top for an over the top character.  And not a fitting over the top.  It was over the top of over the top.  Anybody want to watch some Stallone now?

Okay, it’s time to rattle off some quick awards.  Get ready for the rapidfire because here it comes.

The Most Neurotic Jewish High School Attendee – David Krumholtz in 10 Things I Hate About You
Best Use of Arrows – Throne of Blood
Canucker Award – Strange Brew
Only Movie in a Marathon That Stopped Working Halfway – King of Texas
Most Dance Coordinated Gang Members – West Side Story
Most Stage-like Performance of a Shakespeare Work – A Double Life
Best Animal Performance – Hosehead in Strange Brew
Most Unconvincing Man – Amanda Bynes in She’s the Man

That’s it for this round of rapid fire awards. I’m going to go back into the big main awards and run through the worst movie of the marathon.  This one is fairly simple since there was a clear movie that I disliked more than the rest and for reasons that I think I stated in the writeup for it.  The winner is She’s the Man.  At no point did I find Amanda Bynes to be a convincing guy.  The filmmakers took the wrong route with the comedy choosing to go with her ineptitude at being a guy instead of going about it with her discovering the way guys are.  Sure it was there too, but not as much as the ineptitude.  And some of the performances were downright terrible.

That concludes part one of the awards for the Reimagined Shakespeare Marathon.  Coming up in the next part will be the best actor, actress, and movie, as well as the movie I thought was the most interesting adaptation of a Shakespeare work.  There will be more rapid fire awards given out.  That’s about it for part one of the awards.  Come back soon for the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon