Reimagined Shakespeare Marathon Recap


All things must come to a close.  That said, we have arrived at the end of the Reimagined Shakespeare Marathon.  It’s been an interesting month.  I have seen new-to-me movies that I will like for years to come.  I’ve rewatched some old-to-me movies that I still like or dislike.  They culminated in a group of ten movies all based on Shakespeare works.

Shakespeare was a master at two types of plays: comedy and tragedy.  This is a common thing since they are the two basic forms of theater.  History also greatly influences Shakespeare’s work.  This can be seen in the movies as some had more comedic or tragic moments, some were rooted in a historical setting, but all had a great underlying story to them.

If I had to form an opinion on the entire marathon, I would say that there was more good than bad.  I was pleasantly surprised with some of the movies as to how enjoyable they actually were.  It made the entire marathon that much better.

I don’t have too much to say that won’t be in the awards.  The marathon was enjoyable and, in my opinion, worth it to broaden my movie watching.  I saw classics such as My Own Private Idaho, West Side Story, and A Double Life.  I saw teen/early 20’s looks at life such as 10 Things I Hate About You, She’s the Man, and A Midsummer Night’s Rave.  There were a few others in there as well, including Strange Brew, King of Texas, Forbidden Planet, and Throne of Blood.

Each movie changed the classic setting of the Shakespeare work and tried, either successfully or not, to make the tale work in the new setting.  It made for different takes on the same material that has become so well known.

In the upcoming few days, the awards for the Reimagined Shakespeare Marathon will appear on the blog.  I enjoy doing the awards because I get to make note of what I feel was the best and worst of the marathon in the same old ways as everyone else, and in my own little way.

That is all that’s left in the Reimagined Shakespeare Marathon.  It’s been a good run.  I’m sorry about how late I’m getting this up.  May has been over for three days now but I just finally got the time to hammer this entry out.  I hope it was worth the wait, but it doesn’t add anything to anything so it probably isn’t.  See you for the awards soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon