Work Stories: Episode 19: Drip Drip Drip



Previously on Work Stories, I told you all about that time that I saw one girl feeling another girl up in the museum that I work at.  That was an interesting enough experience, and one that I wasn’t expecting.  This week I bring you another story.  It’s another thing I didn’t expect, which is why I feel fine telling you all about it.

If you’ve been reading this series of blog posts, you already know that I once worked at a hotel.  You also know that I did many different little jobs around the place.  One of these jobs was being the parking lot attendant.  Yes, it was boring most of the time, but I got paid.  I was making money.  That’s something.  I didn’t enjoy my time in the parking lot, but I made money to go to school with, and I read a few books.  So there’s that.

One of the more irritating things about being a parking lot attendant was the weather.  There are really only three types of weather in the summer, and I’ve gone through all three while in that parking lot.  The first is a hot and dry day.  That was almost the entirety of the first summer that I worked that job.  There was barely any rain, and everything was hot, and everything was dry.  The second is hot and humid.  This might be the worst of them all.  The heat makes you sweat, but the humidity makes the sweat stay with you.  It’s a horrible feeling.  The third weather, perhaps the one I like the most, but also hate when working in a parking lot, is a thunderstorm.  I love rain.  I love it.  But a thunderstorm in a parking lot scares the bajeebers out of me.  Yes, the bajeebers.  The bajeebers leave me all by my lonesome in the parking lot.

The parking lot itself is about halfway up a big hill.  Right above the parking lot on the hill is an entrance to a highway.  Below the parking lot is the hotel. Then there is the road that goes along the river.  There isn’t much to describe about that.  But the location is important when thinking about a thunderstorm.

When I worked in the parking lot and there was a big thunderstorm, I could see all of the rain and water rush down the hill.  That’s because of gravity, ladies and gentlemen.  The gravity pulls the water down the hill.  Life works like that.  Anyway, the bigger the rainstorm, the more water that poured down the hill.  And where would it go once it reached the bottom of the hill?  Nowhere, that’s where.  The bottom of the hill was the lowest point.  The intersection between the road on the hill and the road at the bottom of the hill was lower than anything around it.  Therefore, all of the water built up at the bottom, flooding out the intersection.

I witnessed this a few times, and each time I did, I was blown away by how much water pooled in that intersection.  It was astonishing.  I might have disliked sitting in a tiny little booth in an open parking lot during a thunderstorm, but witnessing all this water was amazing.

Yes, I know I live in Niagara Falls.  Yes, I know we have a river with two waterfalls on it, and that it’s a lot of water rushing over a cliff.  I get that.  I know that it’s just as amazing, if not more, than some water in an intersection.  But I see the falls so often because I live here.  That means almost nothing to me anymore.  The water in the intersection is something I don’t usually see.  That is why it caught my attention.  That is why I appreciated it as much as I did.  That is why I have this story.

Until next time, let the sky fawwww.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon