Work Stories: Episode 62: I'm Walkin'



Previously on Work Stories, I wrote about a trip to work I took last week and the stuff that went on during that trip to work.  This week’s Work Story actually happened at work.  That’s right!  Unlike last week where it was a going to work Work Story, this week it’s a Work Story that takes place at work.  Surprise, surprise.  This is a classic workplace Work Story.

I believe I’ve written about some of the dumb things that people have said to me while I’m sitting behind the cash register.  I’ve ranted about the dumb questions I get asked.  I remember that.  I’m not sure how many other people who came and weirdly talked to me that I’ve written about.  This week I got another experience of this type so I decided that I would write the Work Story about that.  I know how you guys love me writing a whole post about one thing that someone said to me.

So I’m sitting at work the other day, minding my own business.  It’s the middle of winter.  It’s really slow in terms of customers.  Most everything is closing early to avoid the labour costs and the cost of electricity.  I’m not sure what I was doing exactly.  Probably playing games on a piece of paper.  I don’t know.  This guy walks up and I look up at him.  I won’t lie.  I was curious about what the guy was going to say.  Wouldn’t you be?  Some weird looking guy stumbles up to the window of the booth that you’re in.  Whatever he says, it has to be good.  Only… well, I’ll let the dialogue speak for itself.

Guy: “Hey.  Is there a record for walking?”

Me: “Walking?”

Guy: “Yeah.  Something like ‘Who has walked the most?’”

Me: “Probably.”

Guy: “What is it?”

Me: “I don’t know.”

Guy: “You have to know.”

Me: “I just work here.  I don’t know every world record.”

Guy: “How about the person who has been awake the longest.”

Me: “I don’t know that either.”

Guy: “Why not?”

Me: “Here.  I’ll check our book, which is filled with records, but I can’t guarantee it’s in there.”

By the way, yes, we do have a record book at our museum.  In case you’re wondering why I’m saying that we have a book filled with records.  We do have that book because it’s the same company that our museum is about.  I don’t want to say the name, but you can probably figure it out by this.  Or not.  Who knows?  I’ll get back to the dialogue now.

Guy: “Are the records in there?”

Me: “Nope.  There are different kinds of walking, but not regular walking.  There are no sleep or awake records.”

Guy: “Why not?”

Me: “I don’t know.”

Guy: “How do I go about setting a record?”

Me: “Go to the company website.”

Guy: “And they send someone to witness?”

Me: “Yeah.”

Guy: “Then I would have to start over.  I’ve been walking since 2005 and my legs are killing me.  The soles of my shoes have worn down to almost nothing.”

Me: “Okay.”

Guy: “Well.  Goodbye.”

Then he left.  I was completely unsure of what had just happened.  Clearly he hadn’t been walking since 2005.  The guy would need to sleep at some point in time.  Not only that, though.  The whole time he was talking to me, he was holding a car key.  So he was about to get into a car and drive away.  Was he trying to be strange for the sake of being strange?  I don’t know.  It was a sort of interesting conversation though.

That’s it for the Work Story for this February day.  I’m sorry that it’s a day late because it’s a day late.  I’m not sorry that it’s a day late because I really wanted to watch Android Cop yesterday.  It’s up now though, so you’ve got that.  I’ll be back next week with another Work Story.

Until then, you're gonna bob and weave out of the path of a bullet? That I'd like to see.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon